As I write this, I am becoming more optimistic. The lockdown that we have had to endure for so long shows signs of lifting and the contagion level in Wales has slowed to such an extent that the government has allowed some activities to take place a week earlier than expected. The weather is also making us feel better about life in general and we are looking forward to the return of some sort of normality. Fingers crossed firmly that everything continues on this trajectory!
Norman is now recovering from having an operation for a cataract on his left eye, while he waits for the opportunity to have his right eye dealt with as well. He says he is feeling quite sprightly – and I think he’s possibly turning into a bionic man.
Marilyn has recovered well from her breast cancer treatment and thanks everyone for their good wishes. She is busy helping to organise the Cemaes CIC Bonus Ball lottery with Sian, which has so far contributed over £900 towards the Capel Bethlehem building maintenance. This project is where we are planning to have the future CHA boathouse and Heritage Centre.
Cemaes CIC is planning to hold a Market at the Capel Bethlehem car park on Monday, May 3rd – and the support of any Cemaes Boat Club members will be really appreciated. Please get in touch with Marilyn to find out how you can help.
I’d like to wish Ian Barnwell all the best on his move to the north east of England and thank him for his past contribution to the club. We‘re going to miss his knowledgeable input, and infectious enthusiasm.
Mike Thompson is continuing with his Coastwatch work and also enjoys regular music sessions through Zoom band practices on Tuesday nights and alternate Saturdays. He’s glad that St. Patrick’s Church is still open for services, as is Llanbadrig Church for private prayer. He expects his second dose of the AstraZenica jab next week.
If anyone else wants to share their news with members, please get in touch with me before our next newsletter.
Unfortunately, the outlook for the Charles Henry Ashley at the moment is not quite so optimistic. Norman, along with the maintenance team, has determined that the boat will not be going into the water this year. This is because there is all the maintenance to complete from last year, which was halted twelve months ago, and the fact that the number of people working on the boat must be kept low due to Covid regulations.
Work is due to start on Saturday, 10th April, with only Norman, Simon, Wally and Mike Thompson in attendance, and that will be the pattern of events for the foreseeable future.
One of the first jobs will be to power wash the hull, in order to remove the dust that has accumulated in the shed. Norman is therefore looking to acquire a tarpaulin which will protect the boat in the future. This has been costed at £280 and we will be looking to purchase this in the coming weeks – that is, unless any of you know of one that is surplus to requirements!
You may recall that there was a lot of work to do due to rot near the stern post, which is with Gerallt at the moment. Another of the jobs that needs to be done is a total repaint of the boat. The blue paint on the hull has not been touched for approximately ten years and Simon also intends to replace all the ropes for the rigging, which has had to endure for approximately the same length of time. Perhaps this inability to sail, which has been forced upon us, may be a blessing in disguise, as we can give the boat the remedial treatment that it really needs, at a deeper level.
Our acquisition of a facility at Wylfa, The Firs, has come to a temporary halt due to a legal technicality where the signatories of the lease with Horizon would become individually responsible for anything that went wrong with the arrangement – not Cemaes Boat Club.
This is due to the way that the Cemaes Boat Club is set up as a voluntary ‘unincorporated’ organisation. The change to an ‘incorporated’ organisation is fairly complicated and would require a lot of work, which we’re not able to do at the moment. Other avenues are being explored, though, and I’d like to thank Steve Bray for his persistent hard work in trying to resolve this matter for us.
Marilyn has already high-lighted in a previous newsletter the fact that our annual membership is due from 1st April and we have had a couple of members renewing – for which I send my thanks. We rely on this money to keep the CHA afloat – no pun intended! However, given the fact that CHA will not be going back into the water this year, it means that members will not be able to sail on her, which was always one of the major bonuses of membership. There are two categories of membership offered – and if you feel that you cannot join as a Full member this year (£30), please consider joining us as a Friend (£15).
We are due for an Annual General Meeting in the near future,and details of this will be published as soon as possible. My term as Chairman should end this April, as should Marilyn’s as Secretary. However, as we have not been able to meet normally for the past year, and as has happened with many other organisations, I am prepared to carry on for a further year. I hope that our other officers will feel the same and will get in touch to let me know.
However, we do need active members to support the running of the Boat Club and I would urge members to get in touch and offer as much support as possible. If you feel that you can contribute, please look out for future updates and attend our AGM in person if possible.
That’s all for now. I’m looking forward to seeing everyone out in the area and even if we can’t sail this year, we can still be by the water and dream about the future. Stay safe,
April 9th 2021.